This Woman's Whirled
5.17.2006
  The State of Daycare
I have taken extended lunches the past 2 days to look for a new child care center for my dear son and I have a new appreciation for my current on-site arrangement.

Hubby and I started by touring a center that has been in business for ages. He actually walks by it every day and had a good feeling about it. It has good inspection records and is always full - certainly a sign that it's a desireable place, right? Well, it probably is, if you are trying to pull your children out of nasty centers like the next two I visited. However, after walking into a room of, I swear, 2 dozen sleeping children and observing there was no teacher present, we decided this wasn't the place for us.

Since his current center is a chain, I thought that might be a good approach. I contacted two very well known chain centers (KinderCrap and La Mistreat Academy) and arranged for tours. I cannot possibly judge which center was worse and I think I may have developed post-traumatic stress disorder just by visiting. Both places were exactly how I imagined orphanages must be. Nauseating smells greeted me at the door and the children were unhappy, unkept, and unattended. It was interesting to note that both of these centers were like big open rooms divided by waist-high, movable walls. When one teacher was noticeably over ratio, it occurred to me that this 'big room' approach was to get around the ratio rule. Essentially, all of the staff and all of the children were in the same room.

I reached the conclusion that, if this was it, one of us had to stop working or someone else we are related to needed to get a job with my current employer so he can stay where he is.

I called another center after leaving La Mistreat, I ask desperately for an impromptu interview and tour. They happily agree but indicate there really isn't availability at this time. A spot for my son would depend on their getting another room ready to go that isn't there today. The new teacher isn't even hired.

When I arrive, I know this is the place. It isn't in a very convenient location and, after I plunk down my non-refundable registration fee, I learn that tuition is $50 more per week than we pay today. This isn't an area of our lives where bargain hunting seems appropriate.

All of this work done behind the scenes and we haven't even reached the hard part - the actual transition.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Revealing the feats and follies of a self-proclaimed super woman

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunny, Florida, United States

Thirty-something working woman living the American dream with my wonderful husband and beautiful son.

ARCHIVES
04.2006 / 05.2006 / 06.2006 / 07.2006 / 08.2006 / 04.2008 /


Powered by Blogger